Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The F Word

Poor Dana.*

(*I change the names of my friends to protect the innocent...)

I saw Dana in passing the other day, and she was very proud to tell me that she has lost a few pounds lately (great!) doing Weight Watchers (oh...) and was eating things like fat free cheese (GASP!) at which point my look of horror shut her down. In her defense, she had not yet read my second post (The Whole Truth About Googala, and if you haven't either, you'd better catch up, because the information train is rollin', people!). She was understandably frustrated and confused as to why I was admonishing her for something that she was actually paying money for people to tell her, and is considered common sense among many people who are trying to be "healthier."

Back to Marketing 101. If the advice is free, then it is less likely to have an agenda behind it. I do this purely out of the love in my heart for you. Now some of you may argue that there is no such thing as free advice, so if you wish to count the awesome feelings I get when I take the fat free cheese out of people's refrigerator, then consider it fair compensation for goods and services rendered.

So, Dana, this one is for you.

In my last post, I alluded to "nutritional theories" (to be exact, they are hypotheses at best) that have caused the extreme prevalence of Googala in many "diet foods," and the absolute best place to start is with the F word: Fat. Or rather the F-ing F word: Fat Free. The hypothesis is that eating dietary fat causes a person to be fat, and that if you remove the fat from food, people will get less fat. Unfortunately, Dana, and the rest of you, this hypothesis is what we in the Industry like to refer to as bull s***! Now, this post has taken longer than I would have liked to write, because I wanted to make sure I did a fair amount of research to back up my claims. It all started in the 1940s with Ancel Keys and the Lipid Hypothesis…

Uh oh. This is about to get very boring. OK look, I want to inform you, but this is supposed to be light and entertaining as well, so I am going to cliff note it for you, and for those of you who are sticklers for things like facts, I will give you homework…OK?

· Circa 1940: Lipid Hypothesis says eating fat and cholesterol causes heart disease.

· 1940s-present: Plethora of fake foods, rancid oils and margarines replace butter, raw whole milk, cheese, lard, etc. (Homework: go compare the labels of regular Hellman’s Mayonnaise and Fat Free Mayonnaise. Then for bonus points take a look at Mayonnaise made with “healthy” olive oil. Scary.)

· 1994: A girl in my college dorm told me she couldn’t eat avocados because they are “too fattening.”

· Present Day: Obesity rates in adults and especially children have skyrocketed. Diabetes Type II (a largely preventable disease) rates have skyrocketed in adults and children. And the CDC reports Life Expectancy on the decline (Google it. It’s all there)

· Conclusion: The Hypothesis is probably wrong!

If you wish to do your own fact finding, start with this foundation, which is doing very good work with whole food education: http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/myths-a-truths-about-cholesterol. Then read anything by Michael Pollan (The Omnivores Dilemma, In Defense of Food) or watch his movie, Food, Inc. Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution is a great show and he has cookbooks and a website to support his foundation. I am about to start reading Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, so I will be reviewing that for you, but I hear from many whole food enthusiasts that it is a must read. There are endless sources of whole food enthusiasts, as there are also endless sources of food religion zealots and Fat War proponents. Those of us who do not have the time nor the intellect to sift through this much conflicting data must step back from the rhetoric and try to use our common sense.

Some of you may be suspicious of the refuting of the Lipid Hypothesis due to in large part the number of medical people who tout it. As one who has participated in medical research in my past life, I will tell you that “evidence based medicine” is a lot less evidence based than you might think. Personal bias, cuts in funding, drop-out rates, poor data entry, understaffing, the size of the patient groups being studied, and most importantly who is funding it and what is their agenda can all affect the results. People hear a report on the news (“A new study showed that…”) or hear about it from a secondary source on the Internet or in a book and the idea is accepted as Gospel, without any knowledge of the source of the study or how good it was. Most of us are not qualified to judge scientific research, so as a basic guideline, if you hear of a study done in a major publication, such as the NEJM, Pediatrics, JAMA, then it is probably good science. If you are poking around on the Internet and come across someone’s blog (uh, except for mine…) then be cautious.

Doctors are so busy with disease, they have very little time to do good fact finding about Nutrition, and really, who is out there funding that research? The only people with the money to do that are the large AgraBusinesses who are creating all of the googala. Also, I know it’s hard to believe, but doctors have a hard time admitting they were wrong: it is hard to get into medical school but do you know how hard it is to get out? Very. Even bad doctors get saved to save face…(In case you are thinking I am a bitter ex-Nurse, many of these thoughts on the Medical Profession are the opinions of two of the best doctors I have ever known. I will be interviewing them in future posts…) Though many, esteemed heart surgeons are coming forth and admitting that the Fat Wars have failed us miserably, as of this date (2/21/12) the American Heart Association has still not made an official statement, and are still pushing their “Heart Smart” label on a lot of googala. I’m sure it has nothing to do with their being too busy cutting people open to deal with this issue properly. Baby’s got to eat, you know…In case you think I just hate doctors, I am not saying that doctors are bad: there are great ones and terrible ones just like every other profession in the world. I am saying that for many of them, Nutrition has not been a priority in their education (some schools have as little as 2 hours of Nutrition education) and so they simply do not know enough about it. They should therefore, refrain from addressing it. If your doctor tells you that eating Special K and Dannon Light are healthy for you…run.

But aside from the doctors, I have a very hard time trusting the results of actual Nutrition studies, even if they were done perfectly, when the people in them are eating fake foods! How can we claim to have a truthful understanding of the body’s natural response to a phenomenon, when they are consuming meat with hormones and antibiotics, produce with pesticides, pasteurized milk, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup and food dyes, etc… The sad truth is, we probably can’t. But what we do know is that things are getting oh-so-very-worse at an alarming rate, and we need to do something very different. And at this point, very different is re-training our brains to see that a paragraph of chemicals is not and I repeat NOT better for your body than good old fashioned butter, whole milk and cheese. Since I started eating whole foods I have lost weight, in case you are worried about jumping in.

BUT, keep in mind that you cannot eat these things every day, and sit at your desk all day, and expect to look like a runway model. Our ancestors moved around a lot! And we can’t fake the food just to avoid moving our tushies. We need to stick to whole foods, eat mostly plants and nuts and protein and less dairy and grains, and have the appropriate level of exercise in our lives to burn off the calories and keep us at a healthy weight.

And that is advice you can take to the bank…for free.
_____________________________________________________
Latest recipe: I made the white bean hummus, and it was delicious, but I did not use Joel Fuhrman's recipe, because he likes to stick Dijon Mustard in everything for flavor. I used the Moosewood Cookbook's recipe with soaked white beans instead of garbanzo. It was delicious, and the kids inhaled it.

Currently Reading: Sigh. It's still Harry Potter with the kids. I promise to start something about Nutrition before my next post...

9 comments:

  1. I've been loving your posts Ashley! It would be a great help if you could also include what your kids took to lunch in addition to the latest recipe and reading. For more than a year now I've gotten my family completely off HFCS and artificial food colorings, but we still eat a lot of processed (Trader Joe's) food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally, I like late February due to the four most hope-filled words in the English language - "Pitchers and Catchers report" - signifying the start of Major League Baseball's Spring Training. Now you hit me with "And the CDC reports Life Expectancy on the decline". I'd call you a killjoy if it wasn't so serious a subject, and one so entirely of our own making...

    Keep writing, I'l keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Truth hurts, my friend, on the other hand, the Truth shall set us free...

      Delete
  3. Great post! I wish I had your discipline :P I enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discipline is a choice! Not a talent or a gene that is missing. All you have to do is make a commitment to your end goal, break it up into small, measurable, attainable goals, demonstrate progress and reward yourself (no, not with chocolate!) You also need a coach to guide you and give you positive encouragement and feedback. I am surprised that a jock like you has not applied enough sports metaphors to this situation yet!

      Delete
  4. So tonight I have a crew of boys coming over the house for movie night. I guess the Betty Crocker cookie mix that I just used wasn't the best choice? ;-) Well at least I am serving it with a side of popcorn sans salt or butter. Seriously though, can you give me an alternative? I would have loved to make cookies from scratch, all with whole ingredients, but sometimes there is just no time. Softening TJoe's butter in the microwave and adding a cage-free egg to the crappy cookie mix was the best I could do!

    And agree with the first commenter...would love to hear what your kids take for lunch each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Karen, my alternative is not to feel like you need to feed sugar to kids at all! I would have put out a big bowl of plain popcorn, apple slices, and water, and felt like I was doing my hostess duty. Incidentally, the corn and the apples are themselves simple sugars, so if one argues that the kids deserve a sugar treat, they are getting one. However, how slowly these foods are absorbed due to the high amounts of fiber and water in them is what makes the difference in their blood sugar and subsequent behavior. The last thing I want is to have a group of children all hopped up on cane sugar in my house! So it is lazy and healthy at the same time. The kids are getting together to be kids. This is what too many adults seems to miss. Kids like just being kids around other kids. Having a simple snack to mindlessly poke at is enough: all of the other junk is just icing, literally, and would not be missed. If you have time to bake from scratch, and you enjoy it, great. If not, just don't! Faking it is worse. Parents sometimes feel like they need to do do do to be good parents. I think in many of those cases, what you don't do is more powerful, and certainly healthier for your kids.

      I promise the lunch blog is coming next...

      Delete
    2. P.S. Cookies, or even their ingredients, can't be "whole" because even organic flour, sugar, and chocolate chips are processed. I will be defining what whole foods are in future posts as well...

      Delete